Friday 3 July 2020

The Right to Work




I hear how so many people in lockdown are struggling without work and a sense of purpose. That their mental health is affected by not being able to contribute. That this is leading to depression.  And I understand exactly how that feels, but for a different reason.


I am an asylum seeker and have lived in this country for 6 years.  Because I am an asylum seeker, I do not have the right to work, even thought I want to contribute.  


I understand how people are feeling now in lockdown, because it is how I have felt for all these years. 


Being able to contribute to society, feeling involved, that is so important for your mental health.  My children can go to school here, I have a grandchild born here, but I am limited in my potential and in my life. I am limited in moving forward, and am living with the effect that has on me.


I hope others understand now something of how it feels to be in the asylum process, because now they have felt it too in their lockdown experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment